Definition of Edge Dyeing
Edge dyeing involves coloring the edges of leather with dye. The process gives leather products a professional look, as well as protecting the edges from wear and tear.
Edge dyeing can be done in a variety of colors to allow for the customization of leather products and it follows these steps.
- The leather is prepared by sanding and polishing the edges to ensure a smooth surface free from blemishes.
- The leather is then dampened with water to help the dye seep into the fibers faster.
- A dye is applied to the edges using a small brush or dauber and ensuring the edges are fully covered, without smudges.
- After the dye has been applied, the edges are left to dry for a short period of time.
- The edges are burnished using a burnishing tool or slicker. This process helps to smooth out any rough edges and gives the edges a polished finish.
- A top coat of sealant or wax is applied to protect the edges and give them a glossy finish to prevent the dye from rubbing off.
There are several benefits attached to edge-dyeing:
- Customization: Edge dyeing allows for the customization of the leather product. Different colors can be used to create a unique and personalized look.
- Easy Maintenance: Dyed edges are easier to maintain compared to raw edges. They can be cleaned easily with a damp cloth and don't need special treatment.
- Increased value: Edge dyeing adds value to the leather product, making it more attractive and desirable to buyers. This can be particularly important for speculators.
The table below provides examples of leather products where edge dyeing can be applied, demonstrating its versatility:
|Leather Wallets||Edge dyeing on wallet edges enhances their appearance and durability||Available in various color options for personalized customization|
|Leather Belts||Dyed edges on belts give them a polished and finished look||Crafted from full grain leather for superior quality and longevity|
|Leather Bags||Edge dyeing adds a professional touch to bag edges, elevating their overall aesthetic||Features hand-stitched details for a unique and artisanal look|
|Leather Coasters||Edge dyeing on coasters adds a pop of color and sophistication||Set of four coasters with a water-resistant finish for easy cleaning and maintenance|
|Leather Journal||Dyed edges on the journal give it a polished and elegant appearance||Contains acid-free pages and a leather wrap-around closure for security and style|
Example of Edge Dyeing in a sentence
“The edge dyeing on the leather multitool sheath was impeccably done.”
Edge coloring, edge staining, edge dressing.
Related terms for Edge Dyeing