Definition of Riveting
Riveting involves attaching two pieces of leather together using metal rivets. This technique is commonly used in the construction of leather products such as bags, belts, sheaths, and holsters.
Did you know that riveting has been around for thousands of years? It originated in Egypt where copper rivets were used, then the Romans adopted it for constructing their aqueducts.
In leatherwork, the process of riveting involves these steps:
- Preparation: The two sections of leather that need to be joined are aligned properly. A hole is marked on the location where the rivet will be inserted.
- Punching: A hole is then punched through the marked location using a hole punch. This hole is slightly smaller than the diameter of the rivet to ensure a snug fit.
- Inserting the rivet: The rivet is inserted through the punched hole. The head of the rivet is placed on one side of the leather and the rod on the other.
- Bending and flattening: Using a rivet setting tool or a hammer, the rod is bent over and flattened to secure the two pieces of leather together. The goal is to make sure the rivet is tight enough to hold the leather but not too tight to damage it.
- Finishing: Once the rivet is secured, any excess rod is trimmed off and the leather is finished as desired. This includes polishing, buffing, or any other finishing techniques.
Here is a short video on how we rivet a leather belt:
One of the main benefits of riveting is strength and durability. Rivets create a strong and permanent bond between two pieces of leather, a bond that stitching or adhesive can’t measure up to.
At American Bench Craft, we don’t stitch or use adhesive. Our leather products are held together using brass or nickel rivets to ensure that they last a long, long time.
Additionally, the use of rivets adds a rustic look to a leather product once the metal starts to patina.
Overall, riveting is a more efficient method of leatherworking since the process doesn’t require as much time as manual stitching and so it’s completed faster.
Example of Riveting in a sentence
“She fastened the two pieces of leather by riveting them.”
Related terms for Riveting