Definition of Stainless Steel Hardware
Stainless steel hardware is made from a steel alloy that contains at least 18% chromium, giving it its characteristic resistance to rust and corrosion.
It's known also for its durability and strength which make it a popular choice for products that need to withstand harsh conditions.
Various stainless steel hardware is used as a closure for leather items. The hardware includes:
- Buckles: Stainless steel buckles are commonly used in belts, watch straps and other leather accessories. They’re durable with a sleek, modern look. American Bench Craft offers both stainless steel buckles and brass buckles.
- Zippers: Stainless steel zippers are strong and can withstand heavy use, making them ideal for leather jackets, bags, and wallets. We don’t have products with stainless steel zippers but our Tradesman Tote Tool bag features a two-way pull brass zipper.
- Snaps: Stainless steel snaps are often used in clothing and other apparel to provide a secure closure. For our leather products, we use brass snaps to close the flap on multitool sheaths, and axe sheaths
- Rivets: Stainless steel rivets are used in leather goods such as bags, belts, and shoes. However, we use brass rivets for their warm colors and ability to match different leather colors.
- Hooks: Stainless steel hooks can be used as closures or decorative elements. Check out how we’ve incorporated brass hooks into our Rum Runner Wrap, the Buckshot Bracelet, and the women’s Hoofpick Belt.
- D-rings: Stainless steel D-rings are often used in harnesses and other leather goods where strength is important, but we use brass D-rings because of their versatility.
Here is a short video on how we made a leather bracelet using stainless steel hooks:
One downside of stainless steel is that it requires you to work on it with its own set of tools. Otherwise, you risk contaminating it and causing corrosion if you use tools that have been used to fabricate other metals.
Also, it doesn’t patina like brass. A patina is a desirable quality by people interested in the rustic look that brass rivets acquire over time.
Despite the two disadvantages, stainless steel remains a favorite for people who like its polished look and the intricately carved designs that can be made on it, such as this Reina Belt for women.
Example of Stainless Steel Hardware in a sentence
“The stainless steel hardware attached to this bag gives it a polished look”
Non-staining steel, inox.
Related terms for Stainless Steel Hardware